- steamed mixed green vegetables, for serving
- For the filling:
- 2 cups porcini-mushroom or chicken stock
- 1 x 20 g packet dried porcini mushrooms
- 250 g ready-sliced fresh mushrooms, cleaned
- 400 g mini chicken-breast fillets
- 2 T potato flour
- 1 - 2 T chopped dill or chives
- 50 g shredded smoked ham (optional)
- flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the turnovers:
- 2 x 400 g sheets ready-rolled puff pastry (defrosted if necessary)
- flour, for dusting
- beaten egg, for brushing
To make the filling: Bring the stock to the boil. Add the mushrooms and chicken, cover, turn off the heat and leave for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain, reserving 250ml (1 cup) liquid.
Slake the potato flour with a little water to make a smooth paste. Reheat the liquid and gradually whisk in the potato flour, stirring until smooth and very thick.
Add the herbs, chicken, mushrooms and ham, if using. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
Allow to cool to room temperature.
To make the turnovers: Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
Place a sheet of pastry on a slab or board lined with baking paper. Dust with flour and give it a quick roll to make it a little thinner.
Cut in half. Spoon the filling onto one half of each rectangle. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and fold over, pressing with a fork to seal well.
Brush again with beaten egg and slash in 2 or 3 places. Repeat with the second sheet of pastry.
Bake the pies for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and baked through.
Variation: Replace the chicken with diced frozen fish fillets – haddock, kingklip or hake.
Per serving: 4205kJ, 34g protein, 64g fat, 71g carbs