This cauli rice risotto is good on its own with grilled mushrooms if you’re vegetarian. Reduce the cooking time by using thighs, or – even faster – skinless mini breast fillets.
- 3 T butter
- 4 free-range chicken breasts with skin and bone
- 12 capers
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 150 g crème fraîche, for serving (optional)
- For the cauli risotto:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 380 g bag Woolworths cauliflower couscous
- 1 cup cream
- 80 g pecorino, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in an ovenproof pan. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and fry until golden. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add the capers and lemon juice, then bake for 15 minutes.
3. To make the cauli risotto, melt the oil and butter in a pan over a medium heat and cook the shallot until soft. Add the garlic and cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season to taste. Top with the crème fraîche.
Photograph: Dirk Pieters
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom