- For the dressing:
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- A pinch sea salt
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 T sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 T honey (or to taste)
- For the salad:
- 1 x 400 g can Woolworths three-bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 350 g fine green beans, sliced and blanched
- 3 sticks celery, with leaves, thinly sliced
- 10 g Italian parsley, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the dressing, pound the garlic and sea salt using a mortar and pestle to make a paste. Add the Dijon mustard and combine, then add the sherry vinegar and drizzle in the olive oil, crushing the ingredients. Add the honey.
Toss the dressing with the canned beans, red onion, lemon juice and zest and allow to stand for 1 hour. Just before serving, toss through the green beans, celery and parsley and season to taste.
Cook's note: I love this salad for its sweet-tangy dressing – but these days I add two extra kinds of beans. Because why not? If you have the time, I recommend making it the day before to give the flavours a chance to mingle and let the beans take on all that deliciousness.
Want to keep it old school? Add green pepper and baked beans. Omit the dressing and add fruit chutney, vinegar, soft brown sugar and olive oil.