- 4 x 60 g linefish fillets
- 4 prawns (optional)
- 4 scallops
- 4 pieces fresh calamari
- 200 g sushi rice
- Fresh ginger, sliced julienne, to garnish
- Spring onion, sliced julienne, to garnish
- For the mirin tea (makes 2 cups):
- 2 cups bonito dashi (made according to package instructions)
- 1/3 cup soya sauce
- 1/3 cup mirin
Place the seafood and rice in a large earthenware pot and add 1 cup mirin tea. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat. Garnish with spring onion and ginger. Serve immediately.
To make the mirin tea, place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then cool.
Shortly after I started at La Colombe, I introduced a tasting menu called “Elements”. One of the elements that I chose was the sea. This dish is pure Japanese and we served it at the table in the authentic way – the only missing part was that the waiters didn't kneel while serving it. It was a bold move in a Provençal-style restaurant, but the guests loved it and it became a menu highlight.