- 400 g skinless chicken-breast fillets
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 300 g fresh egg noodles
- 2-3 carrots, shredded
- 4-6 spring onions, shredded
- 2-3 small cucumbers, shredded
- a handful of thinly shredded iceberg lettuce
- sesame oil, for drizzling (optional)
- roasted peanuts, chopped, for sprinkling (optional)
- For the peanut dressing, mix together
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 T honey
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 red chilli, chopped (optional)
Wash the chicken breasts.
In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the chicken, cover tightly and turn off the heat. Leave to cool, by which time the chicken should be just cooked and moist.
Remove the chicken and bring the stock back to the boil. Add the noodles. Turn off the heat, but leave to seep for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking stock.
Mix the drained noodles with the peanut dressing. Shred the chicken and add to the noodles with a little of the reserved stock. Squeeze over the lemon or lime juice. Top with the shredded carrot, onion and cucumber.
Add the shredded lettuce to the chilled salad just before serving. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with chopped roasted nut, if using.
Per serving: 3362.4 kJ, 42.6 g protein, 40.3 g fat, 68.3 g carbs
This is a good make-ahead dish as the salad should be served chilled.