- 500 g ricotta
- 70 g pitted Kalamata olives, drained and chopped
- 2 T fresh chives chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- assorted crackers, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Mash the ricotta, then mix with the olives, chives, garlic and seasoning.
2. Line a suitable baking dish – 20 cm in diameter – with baking paper and grease generously. Turn the ricotta into the dish and use a spatula to form into a flattish round.
3. Spoon over the olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until pale golden. Allow to cool.Top with the fresh chives and cut into wedges. Serve with the crackers.
Cook's note: I’ve baked ricotta in so many different ways over the years – all delicious – and can confirm that this version is a great one.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Emma Nkuzana