- 3 small organic brinjals (about 170 g each)
- organic olive oil
- 1 large clove organic garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the tomato rice
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 2 T organic olive oil
- 300 g organic long-grain or basmati rice
- 1 x 400 g can organic chopped tomatoes
- 2–3 g chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 t salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- organic Cheddar, shaved, for serving
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Slice the brinjals lengthways. Score the cut sides, moisten with oil, smear with garlic and season to taste. Line a baking tin with baking paper and place the brinjals cut side down.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until very tender.
To make the tomato rice: In a saucepan over a medium heat, gently soften the onion in the oil. Add the rice and stir for a minute or two. Add the tomato and half the parsley. Pour in the stock and add the salt, then bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice tender. Turn off the stove and leave to steam on the hotplate for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Season to taste with the pepper.
To serve: Top servings of rice with the baked brinjal and shavings of cheese.
Cook’s notes: For extra protein, add a can of drained, rinsed organic red kidney beans to the rice. And, for extra bite, add a split red chilli.
Per serving: 1797.4 KJ, 11.4 g protein, 19.7 g fat, 51.7 g carbs
High on appetite appeal, low on effort, these oven-ready organic meals are both heartily substantial and infinitely versatile.