- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 g free-range beef mince
- 1/4 cup organic beef stock
- 1 x 400 g tomatoes, crushed
- 2 t dried oregano
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g plain Greek-style feta, crumbled
- 700 g medium-sized potatoes, sliced and steamed
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Gently soften the onion and celery in 2 T oil. Stir in the garlic, then the mince. Increase the heat and stir.
Add the stock, tomato, oregano, cinnamon and seasoning. Still stirring, bring to a simmer then cover and cook gently for 30 minutes, or until very tender. Stir in the feta and check seasoning.
Turn into an oiled baking dish and cover with the sliced potato. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Cook’s note: Serve with a salad of crisp lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, olives and onion.