- 2 T oil
- 6 -8 free-range chicken pieces
- 1 t Woolworths 11-in-1 spice mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 t of each Woolworths minced garlic, ginger, turmeric and chilli cubes
- 1 t curry powder
- 2 - 3 T tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes, grated
- 1 T sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chilli, to taste
- 200 g rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Generously dust the chicken in the spices and brown in the oil.
2. Remove chicken from the pan and place in an oven tray. Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
3. In the same pan, fry the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Add the curry powder and fry until fragrant. Add the tomato paste, grated tomato and sugar and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season and add the chilli.
4. Add the rice and stir to coat the rice completely. Reduce the heat and add the stock. Add a bay leaf. Cook the rice for 20 minutes, or until soft. Add the chicken and serve warm.
Cook’s note: This is not a traditional jollof rice, rather it is my version. It was inspired by a recent trip to Ghana, where I learnt to make jollof rice.
View this post on Instagram