- 3 leeks, chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 500 g frozen garden peas
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Fresh mint a handful
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wasabi peas for sprinkling
- For the bacon toasts:
- 8 beech-smoked streaky bacon slices
- 4 wholewheat bread slices
Soften the leeks and celery in the oil. Stir in the peas. Pour in the stock and simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Add the mint and blend to your desired consistency. Check seasoning before ladling into bowls and sprinkling with wasabi peas. Serve with the bacon toasts.
To make the bacon toasts, pan-grill the bacon, then sandwich between the sliced bread. Toast the sandwiches in the same pan.
Cook’s notes: Sprinkle the soup with crumbled, crisp bacon and croutons or add sliced smoked sausages.
Served with simple hot bacon sandwiches, this soup makes a real meal.