- 500 g free-range lamb steaks
- Woolworths double-thick yoghurt, for serving
- For the yoghurt marinade, mix:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 x 70 g punnet Woolworths crushed garlic, ginger, chilli and turmeric
- 2 t cumin seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- 2 t coriander seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- 4 sprigs curry leaves,
- 1 cup Woolworths double-thick yoghurt
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the mint pesto:
- 30 g mint
- 30 g coriander
- 1⁄2 green chilli
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 t brown sugar
- 50 g cashew nuts, lightly toasted
- 3 T olive oil
Marinate the lamb for 4 hours.
To make the mint pesto, blend all the ingredients to form a thick paste. Add a little water if necessary. Season with salt.
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking. Sear the lamb steaks (reserve the marinade) until charred. Finish off in an oven preheated to 180°C, or until cooked through.
Pour the marinade into a saucepan and heat through. Pour over the lamb steaks and serve with the mint pesto and yoghurt.
Cook's note: Chef Gaggan Anand – whose restaurant Gaggan in Bangkok has been crowned best in Asia for three years since 2015 – calls yoghurt the Indian mother sauce.