- 2 T butter
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g leeks, washed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300 g pearl barley
- 3-4 cups good quality chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g baby spinach
- 80 g medium fat semi-soft crottin goat’s cheese
1. Heat a cast-iron pan over a medium heat. Melt the butter and olive oil in the pan, then add the leeks, garlic and barley.
2. Once the leeks have softened, add half the stock. Stir to combine, then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Once the liquid has been absorbed, add the remaining stock and cook until the barley is plump and tender. Add more stock if necessary and season to taste.
4. Just before serving, add the baby spinach and slowly stir through until wilted. Top with the goat’s cheese