- 500 g chicken mince
- 15 g fresh lemongrass, ground
- 1 t ground coriander
- 30 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- salt, to taste
- 25 g spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 bird’s-eye chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 T honey
- 15 g fresh ginger, grated
- 1 pack samoosa wrappers
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- For the sambal, mix:
- 1 papaya, peeled and seeded
- 1 T smoked chilli flakes
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 t lime juice
1. Combine the chicken mince, lemongrass, coriander, lime zest and juice, spring onion, salt, chilli, honey and ginger.
2. Separate the samoosa wrappers, keeping them covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out. Place a wrapper on your work surface, folding over one corner into a triangular shape. Turn over and add a spoonful of the chicken mince mixture. Fold over the next corner into a triangle shape.
3. Use your finger to brush the edges with water, then fold over and seal the samoosas with the egg. Deep-fry until golden brown. Serve with the sambal.
Cook's note: These chicken samoosas are delicious with the papaya sambal.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana