- 4 T canola oil
- 4 free-range chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 x 75 g Woolworths Asian Chinese prawn crackers bag
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced, to garnish
- For the glaze:
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 5 cm ginger piece, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 3 T chilli bean paste
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 2 T brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- For the beetroot onion pickle:
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 beetroot, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
Heat half the oil in a wok over a high heat. Cook the chicken in batches until sealed and golden brown. Remove from the wok and set aside.
To make the glaze, place all the ingredients in the wok and cook, stirring, until the sugar has just dissolved.
Return the chicken to the wok and toss to coat in the glaze. Cook until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately with the prawn crackers and beetroot onion pickle. Garnish with spring onion.
To make the beetroot onion pickle, heat the white wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the beetroot and onion and set aside to cool.