The hero of this year’s Easter lunch, that’s what.
1. Start by tearing up 250 g of Woolies’ traditional hot cross buns – toast the pieces in a dry pan or oven.
2. Melt 100 g butter and soften 1 chopped red onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Add 1/3 cup warm chicken stock, fresh thyme, 1/3 cup dried figs, 70g chopped walnuts and the pieces of hot cross bun. Stir to combine.
3. Spoon the mixture into a whole free-range chicken.
4. Drizzle the bird with 2 T olive oil (add a cup of stock to the pan to keep the chicken moist).
5. Roast in a preheated 160°C oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, glazing with honey for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
6. Serve with caramelised fresh figs.