- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warmed full cream milk
- 200 g Italian hard cheese, grated or crumbled
- 3 extra-large free-range eggs, separated
- Salt and milled white pepper to taste
- 3/4 - 1 cup cream
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated cheese
Melt the butter, then whisk in the flour until smooth. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the warmed milk until smooth.
Return to the stove and continue to whisk until thick and smooth.
Remove from the heat and mix in the cheese, beaten egg yolks and seasoning to taste. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
Fill 4 – 6 well buttered soufflé dishes to the rim and place in a baking pan of hot water.
Bake at 220ºC for 15 – 20 minutes or until puffed and set. Allow to cool. They will deflate, but that’s not a problem.
To bake, the second time, invert the cooled, cooked soufflés on to a buttered baking dish. Spoon over the cream and sprinkle generously with grated Italian hard cheese.
Bake, near the bottom of the oven, at 240ºC for 10 minutes or until swollen with cream, puffed and golden. Serve immediately.