- 800 g ostrich fillet
- 3 T dukkah
- 400 g mango curry
- naan bread, to serve
- fresh coriander, to garnish
- For the mango-and-tamarind relish
- 4 T tamarind pulp
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 T cumin seeds
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 chillies, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 2 t mustard seeds
- 4 t turmeric
- 150 g palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 mangoes, dice
- For the walnut-and-coriander raita, mix together
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- ½ cucumber diced
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- a small handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
To make the relish, dissolve the tamarind in the hot water and push trough a sieve.
Roast the cumin in the oven then blend to a powder. Add the onion, garlic and chilli, and purée. Heat some oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds.
When they start to pop, add the onion mixture and turmeric, then the tamarind, sugar and warm water. Cook until a sauce consistency is reached then add the diced mango.
Cook for a further 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
Season the ostrich with the dukkah and grill until medium rare.
Warm the mango curry and place in the middle of the plate. Spoon the raita around the outside.
Serve with naan bread and garnish with fresh coriander.