- 2x 500 g packs Woolworths large frozen tiger prawns
- 3 T ghee
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1/2 t chilli powder
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 2 t ground turmeric
- 1 t coriander seeds
- 2 T Woolworths mild curry powder
- 600 g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or fish stock
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pomegranate rubies, for sprinkling
- spring onion, chopped, for sprinkling
- coriander, for sprinkling
1. Clean the prawns, removing the heads and shells from one pack, but keeping them intact on the second pack. Rinse and set aside.
2. Fry the onion in the ghee in a large pan over a low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, taking care not to burn them.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes, then add the water or stock and yoghurt, season to taste and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shelled prawns just before serving and cook for 2–3 minutes, until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, brush the remaining prawns with ghee or olive oil and fry in a separate large pan or cook on skewers on the braai until cooked through. Serve with the prawn curry. Sprinkle with the pomegranate rubies, spring onion and coriander.