- 6 T canola oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 T leaf masala
- 1 T coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 T ground cumin
- 2 t ground turmeric
- 2 t ground ginger
- 1 star anise
- 1 x 5 cm ginger piece, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 kg cubed free-range stewing lamb
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 fresh curry leaves sprigs
- 2 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- Baby leaves, to garnish
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced, to garnish
- 4 Woolworths frozen Indian plain rotis, for serving
- For the yoghurt dressing, mix:
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 t ground turmeric
Heat 4 T oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until completely soft and about to caramelise. Add the spices, ginger and garlic and toast until they become fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the remaining oil and heat, then add the lamb and sear in the onions and spices until lightly browned and sealed.
Halve the tomatoes, then grate the flesh side. Discard the skins.
Stir in the tomato, curry leaves and water, then season lightly and cover with a lid. Cook for 45 minutes, or until the lamb is tender. Add extra water while cooking if necessary.
Check the seasoning and serve with the rotis, prepared according to package instructions. Drizzle over the yoghurt dressing and garnish with baby leaves and thinly sliced cucumber.