The most anticipated issue of TASTE is finally here! Our November/December issue is packed with 80 great recipes to get you through the festive season! Abigail Donnelly outdoes herself with her ultimate festive menu, Clem Pedro shares epic roast plus, recipes to make with the leftovers. Bianca Strydom shares showstopping veggie mains and Hannah Lewry has all our cocktail and dips requirements covered.
SUBSCRIBE TO TASTE AND WIN!
Subscribe to TASTE magazine and save 25% (pay R382.50 for six issues). Plus, you could win one of five Caribbeantan hampers, each worth R1 400
Six easy ways to subscribe:
1. Call 087 353 1300. This number can also be called for renewals.
2. For international subscriptions, call 021 065 0033.
3. SMS “TASTE” to 32361.
4. WhatsApp “TASTE” to 087 353 1333.
5. EMAIL email@example.com.
6. For digital subscriptions, visit zinio.com or magzter.com.
OFF THE MENU
Whether you’re cooking at home, heading out to explore or looking for new products and interesting ingredients to try, here’s what’s hot in the food world right now:
- On our radar: Take a bow, social media. You inspired the TASTE team to try the best – and worst – of what your algorithms dished up. From cool trends and cooking hacks to binge-worthy watches, we share our year in review.
- Everything you need to know about beetroot: The unabashedly magenta bulbs love hogging the limelight, making everything from humble hummus to seven-colour Sundays pop. So, by all means, turn up the beet, folks.
- Woolworths’ best ever: This just in: Woolies’ Best Ever mince pie has just dropped and, boy, is it worth the hype. Product developer Caryn Albers reveals how she and her team went about improving upon perfection.
THE FEASTING MENU
All you want this Christmas is Abigail Donnelly’s ultimate menu, from a fragrant prawn bisque to a show-off gammon, all the sides and her most spectacular dessert buffet yet!
Inspired by her childhood memories of the extra-large biscuit box so many South Africans buy at Christmas, Abigail Donnelly created these easy, home-made versions to share with friends and family or give as gifts. (Always leave a few for Santa).
A showstopping cut of meat deserves to be treated just right. Clem Pedro knows exactly how to get all the bang for your buck, from the main event to inspired leftovers that will rival the feast itself.
Whether you love neutrals or brights, home-made or shop-bought, you’ll find plenty of decor inspiration in our four table-setting themes for Christmas 2023.
The answer to effortless entertaining? Host a drinks party with make-ahead martinis and inventive dips and dippers, from honeyed baked cheese and (gluten-free!) flatbreads, to smoky fish pâté and crispy cauliflower.
VEG TO THE MAX!
Turn those standard vegetable sidekicks into the main attraction with these inspiring recipes. (It’s true, even the unassuming onion can be a showstopper.) Plus, every one is under R50 a head.
Your buffet needs some cool new desserts. They’re make-ahead winners, loadshedding is still a thing, and it’s hot. Need more reasons? Try frozen bounty bars and peach melba cheesecake.
Flaming, brandy-soaked puddings are great in the northern hemisphere, but they don’t always land in a midsummer spread. We asked Clem Pedro to dream up the ultimate dessert for a hot Christmas in Africa and this, ladies and gentlemen, is it! Layers of peppermint ice cream, caramel crunch sauce and Madeira cake are cloaked in Italian meringue for a retro spin on the Peppermint Crisp tart. Yoh!