- 180 g sago
- 1 litre milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 140 g sugar
- 3 Woolworths ClemenGolds
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Soak the sago in 2 cups water for 1 hour, then drain.
3. Bring the milk and 1 cinnamon stick to a simmer in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the sago and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously, until translucent.
4 .Mix the egg yolks, 4 T sugar and the zest of 1 ClemenGold. Stir into the cooked sago.
5. Beat the egg whites, then fold into the sago mixture. Pour the sago mixture into a greased 20X25 cm ovenproof dish.
6. Place the dish in a larger roasting pan, then fill with water until it comes halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
7. Meanwhile, peel and halve the ClemenGolds. Place the remaining sugar and cinnamon stick in a saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to a simmer.
8. Add the fruit to the syrup and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until softened and syrupy. Serve the baked sago with the poached ClemenGolds.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom