Turn baked potatoes into a cheap but hearty meal by topping them with saucy boerewors stew, caramelised onions, yoghurt, cheese and jalapeños.
- 6 large potatoes
- salt, for sprinkling
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 g boerewors, casings removed
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 2 t ground coriander
- 1 T tomato paste
- 410 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 T sugar
- plain yoghurt, for serving
- 60 g Cheddar cheese, grated, for serving
- 100 g pickled jalapeños, for serving
- 7 g coriander, chopped, for serving
- For the caramelised onions:
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 T butter
- ¼ cup chutney
- a pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Prick the potatoes with a fork and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 1 hour or until soft.
2. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 8 minutes or until soft. Add the boerewors, break up with a spoon and brown all over.
3. Stir through the cumin, paprika, coriander and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 10–15 minutes.
4. To make the caramelised onions, sauté the onions, butter, chutney and salt over a low heat until soft and sticky.
5. To serve, split open the potatoes and spoon in the mince. Top with the yoghurt and cheese and grill for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Top with the jalapenos and coriander.