- 280 g flour
- 1 t bicarbonate of soda
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 100 g butter
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 50 g sugar
- 4 ripe medium-large bananas
- 2 free-range egg
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
1. Line a 25 x 13 cm loaf tin with baking paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
3. Melt the butter, then mix with the sugar in a separate bowl.
4. Mash 3 bananas and add to the butter mixture and whisk until combined, then add the eggs and whisk until combined. Do the same with the yoghurt and vanilla.
5. Add the flour in two parts and stir to combine, but do not overmix. Gently stir in the chocolate using a wooden spoon until just combined.
6. Pour into the baking tin. Cut the remaining banana in half lengthways and place on top of the batter. Bake for 65 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. If the top is getting too brown, place a piece of baking paper on top.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Jacqueline Burgess