- For the chilli, macadamia and rose marinade:
- 2 T Extra virgin olive
- 2 large paprika peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 T dried basil
- 2 T honey
- 40 g macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh pesticide-free rose petals, a handful
- 1 whole free-range chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilli, macadamia and rose marinade
To make the marinade, heat the olive oil in a pan. Gently fry the peppers, onion, garlic and chillies until the onions are soft and caramelised. The flavour is in the browning of the onions, so don’t panic! Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lime, basil, honey and macadamias and stir well. Season to taste and add the rose petals. Blend until smooth using a stick blender.
Spatchcock the chicken and rub generously with the marinade. Chill for two hours or overnight. Braai the chicken over hot coals or roast at 190°C for 40 minutes, turning once, until the skin is crispy and the meat succulent and juicy.
Cook's note: Chicken straight off the grill is always a crowd-pleaser. This one is exceptional, and the secret is in the marinade, which you simply have to prepare in advance to give its enormous flavours time to develop. The sweet perfume of rose and the heat of chilli blend into an instant hit.