- 1 T sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 smoked bacon rashers, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 leeks 2, washed and sliced
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ½ t turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup good-quality chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 3 mielies, braaied and slightly charred
- 2 T coriander
- Spring onions, to garnish
- Biltong shavings and powder, to garnish
- Bread, for serving
Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and bacon for 2 minutes until the onions are translucent and the bacon fat is rendered.
Add the celery, leeks, spices and seasoning and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10–15 minutes until slightly reduced.
Cut the corn kernels off the cobs. Add to the soup, reserving some to garnish, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Finally, add the coriander and season with pepper.
Divide the soup between 6 bowls. Garnish with the remaining corn, biltong shavings and powder, and spring onions. Serve with warm bread.