- 450 g salmon
- 1 t Woolworths seafood seasoning
- 4 T ponzu sauce
- For the saffron aïoli:
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¾ cup sunflower oil
- salt, to taste
- 2 t lemon juice
- a pinch saffron
1. Rub the seasoning on the skin-side of the fish. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Light the braai and when the coals are medium hot, place a grill pan directly onto the coals. Heat until very hot. Quickly cook the fish skin-side down for 2 minutes. Remove and cool.
3. To make the aïoli, place the garlic in a bowl and whisk in the eggs. Slowly pour in the oil from a height in a steady stream, whisking continuously until thick. Add the salt, lemon juice and saffron. Chill until you are ready to serve. It will keep in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a week.
4. To serve, place the fish skin-side down and thinly slice off the skin. Serve with the aïoli and a drizzle of ponzu sauce.
Cook's note: When making the aïoli, ask someone to help you: one person can whisk while the other pours in the oil. Place the bowl on a folded tea towel to prevent slippage.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Irinja Bekker