- 1 free-range whole chicken
- 250 g butter, softened
- 1½ t smoked paprika
- 1½ T Woolworths roast chicken seasoning (or a mixture of garlic and onion powder)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Tie the chicken’s legs together with kitchen string, tuck in the wings and loosen the skin on the breasts. Place onto a rack on top of a baking tray.
2. Mix the butter and seasoning, then stuff the butter underneath the skin. Smother the chicken with any remaining butter.
3. Roast for 1½ hours, basting every 15 minutes and turning over 3 times.
4. Remove from the oven and turn the chicken over so the breast is underneath. This allows the juices to run through the chicken into the breasts. Cover with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before serving.