- 1.5–2 kg butterflied free-range leg of lamb
- 2–3 cloves, garlic, very thinly sliced
- 20–30 tiny rosemary sprigs
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- 800 g Woolworths exotic brinjals, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 kg red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Remove the string from the lamb and open out as flat as possible.
Using a small, sharp knife, make incisions into the lamb and insert the garlic and rosemary sprigs. Season and moisten with a little olive oil. Set aside.
Lightly season and oil the brinjals. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the onions very gently in ¼ cup olive oil, covered, stirring now and again, until meltingly tender and still pale. This can take up to an hour. Season to taste.
Turn the onions into a roasting pan lined with baking paper. Cover with a layer of brinjals and place the lamb on top, fat side up. Roast for 35–40 minutes, or until nicely coloured. The meat should be rosy and the brinjals very tender.
Thinly slice the lamb and serve with the vegetables, rosmarino pilaf and baby salad leaves.
Cook's note: Roast with sweetly caramelised onions and earthy brinjals and serve with spoonfuls of lemony rosmarino.