- banana blossom, steamed, for garnishing (optional)
- For the calamari stir-fry
- 4 calamari steaks
- 2 T peanut oil
- 6 firm bananas
- banana-blossom leaves, for serving (optional)
- 100 g seaweed, soaked in water
- fresh mint, for garnishing
- For the dressing, combine
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 x 10 cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T fish sauce
- 2 T mirin
- 2 t palm sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
Score one side of each calamari steak in a crisscross pattern. Cut into strips. Heat a little of the oil in a nonstick pan and cook the calamari in batches. Gently push your thumb into the end of each banana until it splits into three pieces. Place each piece in a banana-blossom leaf, if using, then top with the seaweed and calamari. Drizzle the dressing over the calamari. Garnish with a piece of banana blossom, if using, and mint.
Cook’s tips: Use the most underripe bananas available. Banana blossoms are found naturally on banana trees. Don’t worry if you can’t get hold of one, but if you can, see page 71 for how to prepare it. Serve the dish in bowls lined with bamboo leaves if you like.
Per serving: 866kJ, 11.6g protein, 8.4g fat, 25.9g carbs
Peel back the layers of this versatile fruit to discover a bunch of inspiring new ideas.