- For the dressing:
- 2 bird’s-eye chillies, seeded
- 2 garlic, cloves
- 90 g Woolworths roasted cherry tomatoes, drained
- 2 T capers
- 4 fillets anchovies
- 2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 10 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 x 400 g can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 – 6 slices ciabatta or sourdough, toasted
- salt, to taste
- green peppercorns, crushed, to taste
1. To make the dressing, pound the chillies, garlic, cherry tomatoes, capers and anchovies in a mortar and pestle until the chillies and garlic have almost become a paste. Add the lemon zest and juice, parsley and olive oil. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
2. Toss the beans into the dressing and serve on the toast. Season with salt and green peppercorns.
Cook's note: Top slices of ciabatta or sourdough with these marinated beans made using pantry ingredients. Make the dressing the day before and toss with the beans just before serving. If you’re giving bread a miss, fill lettuce ‘cups’ with the dressed beans instead.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Gail Damon