- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 sticks cassia
- 4 cloves
- 1 kg lamb, cut into chunks
- 1 large, ripe tomato, chopped
- 10 ml curry powder
- 10 ml ground cumin
- 5 ml ground coriander
- 10 ml ground fennel (optional)
- 2 ml turmeric
- 10 ml crushed garlic
- 5 ml crushed root ginger
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 60 ml chopped coriander leaves
- Jasmine rice or rotis, for serving
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, cardamom pods, cassia and cloves, and sauté until the onion is transparent.
Add the meat and tomato, and braise for 10 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the potato and coriander leaves, close with a tightly fitting lid and simmer until the meat is just tender, about 1 hour.
Add the potato and cook until done.
Sprinkle with the coriander and serve with jasmine rice or rotis and a selection of sambals.