An Eid breakfast table is incomplete without corned beef also known as “salt meat” or “soutvleis”. When my mother, Shoneez Marks first shared this recipe with me, I was shocked at the handful of ingredients and the minimal effort required. All you need is patience for it to be perfectly juicy and tender. A slice of corned beef is best enjoyed on a slice of freshly baked bread with a slathering of pure butter.
- Approximately 1 kg Woolworths corned beef
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 cloves
- 1–2 bay leaves
- 4–6 black peppercorns
1. Thoroughly rinse the corned beef, then place fat-side down in a saucepan and cover in water.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a high heat for 2 hours or until tender. It should remain covered in water, top up when necessary.
3. Once cooked through and tender, remove from the saucepan and serve warm, slicing as required.
Cook’s note: The corned beef can be cooked in advance and reheated when ready to serve.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana