- 2 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 x 400 g cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
- sea salt, to taste
- Parmesan, grated or shaved, for serving
- basil leaves, torn, for serving
- For the creamy kale polenta:
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 180 g kale, shredded, trimmed and washed
- 160 g polenta
- 1/2 cup cream
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan over a medium-high heat. Add the beans in a single layer. Stir to coat the beans, then leave to brown lightly on one side, about 3–4 minutes, then turn to brown the other side. The beans should be golden and a bit crunchy on the outside. Season to taste.
To make the creamy kale polenta, bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the kale until wilted. Remove using tongs and drain. Add the polenta to the stock and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the cream, then stir in the reserved kale. Check the seasoning.
Turn the polenta into large wide bowls, then pile on the beans. Moisten with a little olive oil and add a little Parmesan and some torn basil leaves.