- 8 small plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 T Italian olive oil
- 8 t red or green pesto sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t dried oregano
- 500 g puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 75 g Grana Padano cheese, finely grated, plus shavings to garnish
- 3-4 rocket leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Arrange the halved tomatoes, cut side up, in a roasting pan with the peppers.
Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the dried oregano, then drizzle with
the olive oil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle
measuring approximately 30cm (12 inch) square. Cut out 8 rounds with a
10cm cutter. Lift them on to a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread 1 teaspoon of pesto sauce over each circle, then sprinkle with the grated Grana Padano.
4. Cool the roasted tomatoes and peppers for 10 minutes, then arrange them over the pastry circles. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well-risen and golden.
5. Cool for a few minutes. Top with the rocket and shavings of Grana Padano. Serve whilst warm.
Cook’s tip: If you like, serve the tarts drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.