- 600 g thick-cut mature sirloin steaks
- Olive oil, for moistening
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rocket, for serving
- Crusty ciabatta or vegetable mash, for serving
- For the tomato-and-anchovy sauce:
- 1 red onion 1, thinly sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500 g Woolworths ultimate cooking tomatoes, chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets, chopped
Oil and season the steaks. Chargrill on a cast-iron grill on the hob or on the braai for 3 minutes on each side. Cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Add the steaks and pan juices to the pan of tomato-and-anchovy sauce. Slice and serve on ciabatta using the sauce as a relish. Or serve on vegetable mash, thinning down the sauce if necessary with wine or stock, with lots of rocket.
To make the tomatoand- anchovy sauce, soften the onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the reduced to a sauce. Add the anchovies and check the seasoning.