David Higgs's nutty Hasselback butternut works as a spectacular Christmas side or as a vegetarian roast main.
- 2 whole butternuts, peeled, halved then sliced hasselback
- a splash of water
- 3 T honey
- 2 T butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a handful sage, fried in butter until crispy, for serving
- a handful pecan nuts, roughly chopped, for serving
- chives, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Place the butternut into an ovenproof dish, add a splash of water, the honey and butter. Season, then cover with tin foil and bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the butternut is tender.
3. Increase the oven’s temperature to 200°C. Remove the foil, top the butternut with the pecans and roast until the butternut is golden brown.
4. Serve with the crispy sage and fresh chives.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom