- For the honey and whisky sodas:
- Ice cubes
- 6 T honey
- 12 tots whisky
- 6 sprigs thyme
- A pinch of salt
- 6 x 200 ml cans soda water
- Honeycomb, sliced, to garnish
- For the tea-marbled quail’s eggs:
- 24 quail’s eggs
- 3 T lapsang souchong or any other dark tea leaves
- 3 T Maldon salt
- 1 T lemon zest
- 2 T white sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- ½ t white sugar
To make the honey and whisky sodas: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and top with the honey, whisky, thyme and salt. Shake well for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into 6 chilled glasses and top up with soda water. Garnish with honeycomb.
To make the tea-marbled quail’s eggs: Place the eggs and tea leaves in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and allow the eggs to stand in the tea for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove the eggs and crack each shell a few times. Place the eggs back into the tea and allow to stand in the liquid overnight. Combine the salt, lemon zest, sesame seeds and white sugar and serve as a dipping salt with the eggs.