- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, grated (no skin)
- 1 T garlic, crushed
- 1 t fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 t ground or fresh turmeric
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 500 g beef mince
- 3 -4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
- 3 T fresh coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- parathas, for serving
- tomato-and-onion sambal, for serving
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until soft and slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and dry spices and simmer for 15 minutes. Crumble the mince into the pan and stir through until well combined. Cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until soft. Add the peas if using and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the chopped coriander just before serving. Serve with the parathas and sambal.