Stone fruit season is upon us, and we couldn’t be happier. We decided to celebrate with this luscious nectarine-and-almond snacking cake. Add a square to a lunchbox, enjoy it for breakfast or even serve it as a warm dessert with a dollop of yoghurt or mascarpone.
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 150 g sugar, plus 2 T for dusting
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150 g flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream or yoghurt
- 1 t orange zest
- 3 ripe Flavourburst nectarines, sliced
- 40 g almond flakes
- plain yoghurt, for serving
- toasted almond flakes, for serving
- honey, for serving
1. Line an 18 x 9cm cake tin with baking paper or grease with butter and a light dusting of sugar. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and whisk until well incorporated. Repeat with the other egg.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and add the sour cream and orange zest. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
4. Layer the sliced nectarines on top, sprinkle with the almonds and an extra dusting of sugar. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt, toasted almond flakes and a drizzle of honey.
Keep an eye out for Flavourburst nectarines and plums, which are coming into season now, in your local Woolworths store. They’re deliciously sweet and juicy, the perfect on-the-go summery snack, as a breakfast or baking ingredient and even in a fresh salad.
Win a Le Creuset multi bowl and fluted flan dish worth R2500
To celebrate stone fruit season and to get you inspired to bake more with the fruit, Woolworths are giving away a Le Creuset multi bowl and fluted flan dish to two lucky readers.