- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 - 6 limes)
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 – 4 lemons)
- 2 salad tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped (optional or for the adult bowl only)
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped (optional or for the adult bowl only)
- 2 - 3 ripe avocados
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tortillas chips, for serving
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped (strictly for adults only, served on the side)
Place the prawns, lime and lemon juice in a glass bowl and marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
In two separate bowls (one for adults, one for kids) mix (accordingly) the diced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and coriander and let it rest for 1 hour if you have the time.
Add the avocado at the last minute just before serving with the tortilla chips. (And don’t forget the chilli. Should some like it hot).
Cook's note: Since my husband eats neither prawns nor avocado, this is strictly my mums-come-over-for-wine-while-the-kids-play snack. It’s also, strictly speaking, not ceviche because I’ve used cooked prawns. But still, they marinate in lime and lemon juice, which is what my son loves. You need to make two versions of this, one for grown-ups and one for kids. In my case Seb’s version has only prawns and avo. And tortilla chips.