- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 300 g leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 g brown mushrooms, torn
- 200 g baby spinach
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 500 g Woolworths traditional pork sausages
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 3 T olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until completely soft and slightly caramelised. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms in batches until caramelised and cooked through. Add to the leek mixture.
Blanch the spinach in boiling salted water for 30 seconds, then plunge into iced water to stop the cooking process. Squeeze out any excess water, then chop roughly and add to the mixing bowl.
Add the apple, sausage meat and nutmeg and season to taste. Use to stuff the turkey.
Cook's note: Yes, you can ditch the bread in your stuffing – it doesn’t matter what your mom says. The sausage meat binds the mixture to create what’s really a beautiful terrine. The combo of earthy, fruity, herby flavours is a winner.