- 6 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 baby leeks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T tomato paste
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, chopped
- 1 T oregano chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 T flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 x 400 g chopped tomato can
- 600 g free-range beef shin
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- Basic gnocchi one portion
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan grated, for serving
In a saucepan over a medium to low heat, gently fry the carrot, leek and garlic in the olive oil until softened but not coloured.
Add the tomato paste, anchovies, fresh herbs and canned tomato and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the beef shin, stock and red wine, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the beef is broken up and the sauce has reduced.
Spoon the sticky ragu over the cooked gnocchi, season and scatter with grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.