- 500 g free-range beef mince
- 2 t Maldon salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T canola oil
- 8 slices Woolworths sliced smoked provolone cheese
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 2 T good-quality mayonniase
- 4 leaves cos lettuce, roughly chopped
- 4 gherkins, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- For the caramelised onions:
- 4 pickling onions, roughly chopped
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T Maldon salt
To make patties: Mix the beef mince, salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil in a cast-iron pan over hot coals. Spoon 3 T mince into the pan and press it down using the back of a spatula (do not mould the mince into patties), and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining mince.
Place the provolone onto the burgers and allow to melt.
To make the chunky caramelised onions:, sauté the onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes, or until they start to brown. Season and cover the pan with baking paper and a lid. Cook for a further 15 minutes over a low heat until soft and caramelised.
To assemble the burgers:, spread one-half of each roll with mayonnaise, top with the lettuce, gherkins and 2 patties. Finish with the tomato and other half of the roll.
Cook’s note: Cooking onions over a low heat for a longer period of time enhances their sweetness.