- 2 x 400 g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250 g baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced and blanched
- two handfuls spekboom leaves, rinsed
- Maldon salt, to taste
- For the dressing, mix together
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T white-wine vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 T smooth mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Remove the chickpea shells and place in a salad bowl with the tomato, avocado, onion and spekboom leaves and pour over the dressing.
Lightly mix and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes before serving, sprinkled with salt, to taste.
Spekboom (Portulacaria afra) occurs naturally in
the Little Karoo (near Ladysmith), in the Eastern
Cape and towards Mozambique. Or buy your own little plant from Woolworths stores.
The slightly acidic leaves are delicious in this simple salad and can be substituted with nasturtium leaves if you have trouble finding them.