- 6 Woolworths Large free range eggs
- 3 Woolworths Large Tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 Woolworths Large Brown Onion
- 1 cup Woolworths Cheddar Cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons Woolworths mediterranean Olive Oil
- 3-4 cloves Fresh Garlic (chopped)
- a pinch Black Pepper
- According to taste Sea salt
- 1 heaped teaspoon Red Chilli/Curry/Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (Dhunia) Powder
- a pinch Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2-3 Fresh Green Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Woolworths Brown Sugar
In a large pan saute the onions, chopped garlic and chopped chillies in olive oil until soft on medium to high heat. (Cook's Note: Onions should be transparent in colour. Careful not to burn the onion as it alters the taste of the dish.)
Add turmeric powder, red chilli/curry/ masala powder, coriander (dhunia) powder to the onions. Stir and further cook. Now add the chopped/sliced tomatoes, nutmeg, black pepper, salt, sugar and cook thoroughly.
Now carefully break each egg into different sections of the pan.
(Cook's note: Evenly spread out the eggs in the pan for even cooking/poaching. Now close the pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Allow the eggs to poach and cook through on very low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Now layer the cheese on top of each egg in the pan. Top with chopped de-seeded green chillies. Switch off the heat completely. Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt .
Serve: Shakshouka is absolutely delicious served hot on its own or with garlic bread or naan (Indian flatbread). Makes a fantastic breakfast dish or light meal.