- 1 kg baby spinach, wilted
- Basic gnocchi dough one portion
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g chopped tomatoes can
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
Squeeze any excess liquid from the wilted spinach, then wrap in a clean tea towel and squeeze again to ensure the leaves are completely dry. Chop finely.
Fold the spinach through the basic gnocchi dough until evenly incorporated, adding a little more flour if the mixture is too wet.
Cook the spinach dumplings in the same way you would the basic gnocchi, then drain.
To make the arrabiata, fry the onion, garlic and chilli in the olive oil for 2 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until reduced.
Season to taste, then spoon generously over the spinach gnocchi, garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.