- For the stock:
- 500 g prawn heads or fish bones
- 1 lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- For the soup:
- 10 cm piece of fresh galangal, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 small shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 lemongrass stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 T chilli paste
- 20 whole prawns, cleaned and tails removed
- 6 T fish sauce
- 6 T lemon juice
- 40 g Chinese straw mushrooms, washed and cut into halves
- 1 sweet red chilli, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnishing
- 4 Thai lime leaves, vein removed and slightly bruised
- 6 spring onions, sliced in 2.5 cm pieces
- 10 g coriander leaves, for garnishing
To make the prawn stock:
Place the prawn heads or fish bones, lemongrass and carrot into a stock pot. Add 1.5 litres (6 cups) cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Strain.
Pour 1 litre (4 cups) stock into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the galangal, shallots, lemongrass, and chilli paste. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook for approximately 3 minutes, then add the fish sauce and lemon juice.
Add the straw mushrooms and simmer for 1 minute.
Stir in the red-chilli slices and Thai lime leaves.
Stir in the spring onion.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and red chilli slices. Serve immediately.
Cook’s tips: A member of the ginger family, galangal (also called Siamese ginger) is a pale yellow root with pink knobs and sprouts. This fragrant spice, believed to have medical digestive qualities, is sold dried in Asian food stores or powdered in health stores.
The Thai lime belongs to the citrus family. Thais make use of the zest and leaves (bai makrut), which are hard to find outside Asia and are mostly sold dried in Asian stores. Lime zest or young citrus leaves may be used as substitutes.
Add a small red chilli to the galangal to increase the spicy flavour, or tone it down by using less chilli or adding a small quantity of coconut milk. Add a fiery flavour to mashed potatoes or a stir-fry by mixing in a splash of tom yum broth.
Per serving: 333.9KJ, 7.5g protein, 0.3g fat, 10.8g carbs