- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 250 g Woolworths exotic tomatoes
- 65 g butter, melted, plus 1 T for sautéing
- 1 t sea salt
- 3 T wholegrain mustard
- 50 g Parmigiano reggiano, grated, plus 20 g for serving
- 100 g sourdough, cubed
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, for serving
- 5 g fresh basil, torn, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Sauté the onion and garlic in butter over a low heat until soft, then place in a baking tray.
3. Top the onions and garlic with whole and sliced exotic tomatoes.
4. Mix the butter with the salt, Parmesan and mustard and pour over the tomatoes. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until the tomatoes are coloured.
5. Fry the sourdough in a pan over a low heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
6. Once the tomatoes are roasted, add the sourdough.
7. Finish with more Parmesan, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and torn basil leaves.
Photography: Jan Ras
Recipe: Brita du Plessis
Food assistant: Josh van Zyl
Masterfully made in Italy with the same passion, expertise and dedication as it was in the 12th century, Parmigiano Reggiano remains true to its heritage and taste. Artisan cheesemakers use traditional methods of production distinctive to the area of origin, to create the only authentic Parmesan cheese.