- 1 small loaf crusty French bread
- 2 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- For the butter-bean puree, blend:
- 1 x 400 g can butter beans, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup coriander
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Slice the French loaf lengthways into thin slices. Rub the cut side of a clove of garlic over the surface of the bread, then drizzle with olive oil and lightly toast until golden.
Generously spread the butter-bean purée onto the toasted bread and top with a spoon of chopped tomato.
Per serving: 2266.8 kJ, 13.9 g protein, 23.8 g fat, 67.1 g carbs
Cook's note: Fresh and full of flavours, this dish is a breakfast staple in Spain, where it’s called pan con tomate. Enjoy it on its own or partner it with this silky bean purée or bean pesto spread. It also makes a superb pre-dinner snack.