- 600 g fresh tuna
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 nori sheets, cut into quarters
- 115 g cake flour
- 2 T corn flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1¼ cups soda water, more if necessary a few ice cubes
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- A handful pea shoots
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthways into ribbons
- For the dressing, combine:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Juice and rind of 1 lime
- 3 T Indonesian sweet soya sauce
Cut the tuna into thick strips and season with the lemon zest. Roll each strip in a piece of nori and brush the ends with a little water. Prepare the tempura batter by combining the flour, corn flour, baking powder, soda water and ice cubes.
Mix well, then strain through a metal sieve – thin with a little water if necessary. Add the oil to a large saucepan over a high heat. Dip the tunaand- nori rolls in the batter, then plunge into the hot oil and fry until golden – do this in batches.
Cut the tempura rolls in half and leave to cool for a few minutes. Wrap each roll in another piece of nori, tuck in a few pea shoots and secure with a cucumber ribbon. Serve immediately, with a bowl of dressing on the side.